The RPG-FMCW-94 Radar, developed by Radiometer Physics GmbH for atmospheric research, operates at 3.2 mm wavelength which allows for reaching high sensitivity with small sizes of the instrument. The radar provides range profiles of parameters that contain information about scatterers in the atmosphere such as cloud particles, raindrops, snowflakes and insects. The radar utilizes frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) signals and therefore has high range resolution down to 1 m. Doppler and polarimetric (optional) capabilities of the radar make a good basis for a classification of particles and a quantitative characterization of hydrometeors.
Areas of Applications include:
- calibration of precipitation and cloud radars including satellite-based systems
- estimation of propagation effects for satellite links
- precipitation and fog nowcast
- hydrometeor classification
- quantitative precipitation estimation
- wind direction and speed retrieval
- profiling of liquid water and microphysical analysis of clouds and precipitation.